Using Scaffold Towers for Your Construction Projects
Scaffolding is often necessary for cleaning and repairing existing buildings and is also used in many types of construction projects. Scaffolding is typically made of wooden planks and metal poles, and it can be an attached structure or a mobile tower scaffold. You can easily find new or used affordable scaffold towers for sale on eBay and lessen the chance of any falls when working at elevated heights.
Types of scaffolding for sale
Depending on the type of work involved, you will want a specific type of scaffolding. These are some of the common scaffolding structures currently in use:
- Tower scaffolding - A metal scaffold, such as an aluminium scaffold tower, has four vertical standards that are connected transversely and longitudinally. Alternatively, it has two frames that are connected transversely for one bay. It is an independent structure apart from the building.
- Single scaffolding - Single scaffolding, or brick layers scaffolding, is usually implemented for working on brick masonry. The standards, ledgers, putlogs, and other elements are parallel to the wall at a distance of around 1.2 metres.
- Double scaffolding - Double scaffolding is used for stone masonry. Two rows of scaffolding are used because it is difficult to drill holes in the stone. The first row is 20 to 30 centimetres from the wall, and the second row is one metre from the first row.
- Cantilever scaffolding - Cantilever scaffolding is constructed to angle out from a building. This type of scaffolding is often used when there are obstructions preventing placing the scaffolding on the ground.
- Suspended scaffolding - In this type of scaffolding, the platform is suspended from the roof with ropes and chains. It can be lowered and raised.
- Trestle scaffolding - Trestle scaffolding has a platform that is on moveable tripods and ladders. Trestles are used for inside painting, repairs, and other interior work.
- Steel scaffolding - This scaffolding is made of steel tubes attached with steel fittings. It is easy to construct and dismantle and is sturdy and strong.
OSHA standards for scaffolds
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) regulates safety issues. The HSE threshold for construction work is at a 6-foot height above a lower level for workers. The height requirement for fall protection is 10-feet, often via a built-in guard rail. The scaffold and components need to support at least four times the maximum intended load, and the support platforms must be fully planked or decked. Other standards have to do with training and inspections.
What are the main components of scaffolding structures?
The basic components of scaffolding are tubes, boards, and couplers. Tubes are made of steel or aluminium and come in a variety of lengths and a standard diameter of 48.3 millimetres. Boards provide a working surface for scaffold users. They are seasoned wood and come in three thicknesses of 38 millimetres, 50 millimetres, and 63 millimetres; a width of 225 millimetres; and a length of 3.9 metres. Couplers are the fittings that hold the tubes together.