Are you a seller looking to cancel a bid? Read our article on cancelling a buyer's bid
Whenever you place a bid, you're agreeing to buy the item if you win the auction. However, in some situations you can retract your bid.
You'll need to contact the seller to ask them to cancel your bid for you. Here's how:
- Go to Bids/Offers in My eBay.
- Select More actions and then Contact seller.
- Choose the item and then Continue.
- Select Contact the seller.
- Enter your message and hit Send message.
When you can retract a bid
You can retract a bid if:
- The seller significantly changed the description of the item
- You accidentally bid the wrong amount. For example, you meant to bid £20, not £200. In this case, enter the price you intended to bid as soon as you've retracted the incorrect bid
- You can't reach the seller. For example, you sent the seller an email and it comes back undeliverable, or you tried calling the seller and the phone number doesn't work
As well as the above, timing is also important when retracting a bid:
- If there are 12 hours or more left before the listing ends, all of your bids can be retracted
- If the listing is ending in less than 12 hours, you can retract your most recent bid if it's been less than an hour since you placed it
Remember, the seller isn’t obligated to cancel a bid so they may not agree.
When bidding, always double-check that you've entered the correct amount – especially when making a last minute bid.