To prevent false identities, comply with the law, and help ensure public safety, we don't allow government identification cards, such as driver's licences and passports, as well as official articles such as mass transit and postal-related items to be offered for sale on eBay.
There are a few items, though, that can be sold on eBay. See our guidelines below for more details. Please also visit our Travel policy for rules relating to travel services.
Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, your buying and selling privileges could be restricted.
What are the guidelines?
Documents, ID's and licenses
- Pre-1900 government documents such as birth certificates and marriage licences
- Collectable vehicle licence plates that are retired or no longer valid for use on a vehicle
- Novelty drivers licences or IDs that are clearly fake such as cartoon novelty ID cards that don't resemble the current template
- Number plates can be sold according to the requirements contained in the Vehicle (Crime) Act 2001: sellers must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the number plates must comply with British Standards BS AU 145d.
- Cherished number licence plates, when sold in accordance with The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001
Examples include, but are not limited to:
Personal IDs or documents:
- Birth certificates or a completed application for a birth certificate
- Driver's licences or a completed application for a driver's licence
- National Insurance numbers or a completed application for a National Insurance number
- Passports or a completed application for a passport
- Fake IDs such as licences or passports
- Fake certificates or diplomas
- Childminder badges
Government IDs or documents:
- Immigration or work permission papers
- Classified or restricted government documents
- Documents that are designed to look like official documents but are actually fake
Transit and vehicle items, IDs or documents:
- Government vehicle licence plates
- Design plans of commercial airlines or plane engines
- Internal, not-for-public documents, manuals, and other materials from companies that provide public transportation, including airlines, buses, ferries, underground, and trains
- Car dealership stamps, blank service log books that contain stamps, and completed service log books (without the vehicle)
- Current vehicle licence plates and plates that look like current licence plates (see exception above for cherished number plates)
- Current blank Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) plates, and stamped VIN or TAG plates that have been removed from the vehicle
- VIN plate rivets
- V5, logbook or similar vehicle registration documents unless they are being listed with the vehicle (in compliance with DVLA requirements)
- Blueprints or schematics of airports, underground, or bus, tram, ferry and train stations
- Signs and similar items for rideshare services or delivery persons
- Fancy dress costumes designed to look like mail carriers
- Promotional merchandise bearing the logo of a delivery company like Royal Mail, An Post, Parcel Force, Federal Express (FedEx), DHL, or United Parcel Service (UPS)
- Most vintage clothing or uniforms from commercial airlines, transit or postal companies – including accessories like bags, hats and ties – can be listed, as long as the seller meets allof the following conditions:
- The item is 10 years old or older. Seller must state age of the item in the title of the listing
- It's no longer used by any transportation company
- It doesn't look like current uniforms or accessories
- Current airline uniforms and related items, including but not limited to:
- Flight attendant, pilot or other flight crew uniforms
- Baggage attendant, gate agent and other ground crew uniforms
- Uniform components like badges, wings and other accessories
- Current public transportation uniforms and accessories like hats, pins, scarves, and ties. This covers items from any company that provides public transportation, including buses, ferries, underground, and trains
- Royal Mail or An Post uniforms, including badges
- Government uniforms and accessories, including badges, hats, and patches. See also our Police-related items policy.
- Delivery or courier company uniforms from any country, including those from ParcelForce, DHL, Federal Express (FedEx), and United Parcel Service (UPS)
Other items and devices
- Novelty transit items like maps, posters, tokens, and other items that are generally available to the public
- Keys, tools, or anything that can control transit vehicles (regardless of how old the item is). Examples include railway switch keys or switch lock keys.
- Keys issued as part of the National Key Scheme
- Royal Mail and An Post mailbags, mail bins, and delivery vehicles
- Delivery or courier company decals, logos, or delivery vehicles like those from ParcelForce, Federal Express (FedEx), DHL, or United Parcel Service (UPS)
- Information on how to obtain or make fake IDs
- Items that are used to create or modify IDs, government documents, licences, or plates
Why does eBay have this policy?
To comply with all laws and regulations, the sale of government documents, IDs, and licenses is prohibited on eBay. Please understand that our rules are also intended to help prevent false identities and ensure public safety.