Updates to item specifics and category structures
What you need to know
We’re rolling out new item specifics in some categories to help listings match what buyers are searching for. We’re also updating a few category structures and item specific names - all to help customers find your listings on and off eBay.
New item specifics will be available on 17 May
To help your listings match what buyers are searching for, we’re adding new item specifics in the following categories:
Health & Beauty
Home & Garden
Parts & Accessories
These item specifics give buyers important at-a-glance information about an item, and can include things like brand, colour, or size. Because these new item specifics are crucial to giving your listings the best chance of being discovered, they’ll be required in mid-July 2022. You’ll be able to add them to listings starting 17 May. These item specifics will be tagged as Required Soon, so it’s easy to see what you need to add.
Changes to categories and item specifics
We’re also working with industry experts to refresh how we structure some categories, and how we describe some item specifics within those categories, to reflect ecommerce trends. This means that when we roll out new item specifics, some category structures will also change, and we’ll update the names used to describe some existing item specifics. Learn more about category changes.
Tools to help you find and update missing item specifics
Whether you have a lot of listings or just a few, we’ve got your back with time-saving tools and features to update item specifics:
- Download/Upload file. Available in the Seller Hub Active Listings page, this tool identifies and updates missing item specifics in bulk.
- Reminders in Seller Hub and My eBay. The Overview pages on Seller Hub and My eBay Selling will show reminders to update listings with missing item specifics.
- Quick filters. Use quick filters on Seller Hub Active Listings to view all listings missing Required, Required Soon, or Recommended item specifics.
- Required Soon feature. When you’re listing, look for indicators above item specifics that will be required soon. These will also show the date the item specifics will be required.
- Edit item specifics in bulk. On the Seller Hub Active Listings page, select multiple listings to load into a pop-up window and quickly add missing item specifics.
If you sell in any of the categories above, add these new item specifics as soon as they’re available - it may take a few extra minutes, but the time spent refining your item specifics can help increase your visibility and sales.